To stay updated on our admission process for the 2022-2023 season, !
- A Boston resident
- Currently in 4th or 5th grade
- Attending an eligible school*
- Motivated and eager to learn
- Are committed to supporting their students through the Steppingstone journey.
- Demonstrate a need for our tuition-free program (note: there is a $100 fee for each summer of academic program in grades 5–7, which can be reduced or waived if it is a hardship).
- Are interested in exploring independent schools and select Boston public schools, including the three exam schools.
1. Attend a Family Information Meeting
We ask that all students and families interested in applying to Steppingstone attend a Family Information Meeting. At the meeting, you will have the opportunity to learn more about the Steppingstone Scholars Program and the application process. You will speak directly with the Admission team and Steppingstone parents and Scholars, who will share their Steppingstone stories with you and offer advice on how to make the most of this unique opportunity!
Register now for one of our Fall 2022 Family Information Meetings!
Ofrecemos reuniones en inglés y español. Si necesita apoyo con el proceso de registrarse, contacte a Elena Jay al o
3. Complete an Interview and Exam
Finalist students and families are invited to interview with Steppingstone staff. Interviews take place throughout the months of February and March. Finalist students will take the Steppingstone Exam in mid-February.
4. Final Admission Decisions and Next Steps
Finalists will be notified if they have been accepted to the program on May 1. Accepted Scholars will complete enrollment paperwork and attend the New Scholar and Family Welcome Event in May. Scholars begin their first Steppingstone summer in July.
2. Submit Your Application
Our application consists of the following required components:
Student and Family Application
- Includes family contact and demographic information as well as short answer questions for both the student and the parent/guardian
- Optional Independent School supplement for interested families
- Families applying to the program must share this link with their student’s current classroom teacher and ask them to complete it by January 4, 2023
- Includes a brief evaluation of student, Term 1 Report Card, Spring 2022 MCAS scores and/or June 2022 MAP scores
Finalists are selected based on an evaluation of the Student and Family Application, Teacher Recommendation, report card, and standardized test scores. All components must be submitted by January 4, 2023 in order for a student to be considered for admission. Families are notified of the finalist decision by email at the end of January.